Having not made #coffeeoutside or used my isobutane backpacking stove for a few months I decided that I’d take advantage of today’s sunny and balmy 30 degree weather and make some #cofffeeoutside whilst out on a bike ride. Pre-ride I gathered all my things and gave the fuel canister I was taking a good shake to double check it had fuel in it and head out. My first stop was a bakery few miles away to pick up a cinnamon roll. Cinnamon roll in my possession I rode a couple more miles to a scenic little park by a lake to whip up my coffee.
At the park I took an extra couple extra seconds to pick out the table with the best view and have all my things nicely arranged. I screwed my fuel canister into my stove turned the valve to start the gas flowing, and… Nothing. I turned off the valve, unscrewed the canister, screwed the canister back in and… Nothing. Huh? I double checked that the valve on the stove that controls the flow of fuel was working properly. It was. Shook the stove, yes there was fuel in it, opened the valve again and…. Nothing. I unscrewed the fuel canister, got out the awl on my Swiss Army Knife and used the awl to depress the seal on the fuel canister and gas came jetting out. So, I’ve got a Canister with gas and pressure. A properly functioning stove, but not fire. Great. I screwed the canister back into the stove and have it one more try… Nothing. I ended up eating my cinnamon roll with cold water, which was a total let down, and headed back out on my bike, stopping at a coffee shop for #coffeeinside before heading home.
Weird deal. I’ve been using that same style of stove and fuel canister on a fairly regular basis for about 20 years and have NEVER had any kind of failure. The canister in question had been used before so while it was being stored something must of messed up the release valve on it to the point were the stove couldn’t depress it. Once I got home I attached a different canister to the stove and it worked just fine.
Next time I’ll make sure stove and canister are functioning before putting them in the bike, but at a once-in-20-years failure rate I don’t think I’m going to worry about it much.